The English cocker spaniel is a medium size dog which is sturdy, intelligent, robust, lively, playful, gentle, and affectionate. This makes them amazing companions for young and old alike.
English cocker spaniels are prone to allergies. These canines show allergic symptoms towards anything that their immune system recognizes as dangerous or harmful. An allergic reaction is visible when your pet inhales, ingests or when his skin comes in contact with any substance.
Symptoms of allergy
- Red, itchy, or moist skin- The skin may become red and itchy. The scratching of the skin may cause scabs and the allergy may be due to either contact with the environment or some food
- Increased scratching- Normally English cocker spaniels love to scratch themselves. An allergy to some substance will cause an increase in scratching. Itching becomes aggravated when the body reacts to the allergy causing substance
- Itchy eyes- The eyes may itch or tear more than normal. Check if any foreign particles are embedded in the eye which may cause tearing. If that is not the reason, then it is allergy
- Itchy back- The tail region, the hind, or the back may itch which is usually caused by a flea allergy. Most canines are allergic to the saliva of the flea which causes them great misery
- Itchy ears- Ear infections maybe an allergic reaction to a particular substance that your pet may have come into contact with or ingested. Mites usually embed themselves on the skin near the folds of the ear. They inject the spindle to attach themselves. This releases toxins in the body which may cause itchy ears.
- Sneezing – A running nose indicates allergy of the nasal passage. There is secretion of clear mucus. It this persists, then it could be an indication of viral rhinitis
- Vomiting –Irritation of the stomach lining causes vomiting. The irritant may have entered the system through soiled food, hair, garbage, or certain drugs
- Diarrhea- Is characterized by loose bowel movements. This may be caused due to intolerance to some food or ingestion of a foreign body
- Chewing of the paws
- Constant licking
Observe for these symptoms which may be an allergy making your pet miserable.
Some skin allergies are caused due to bacteria or yeast. The skin infection causes loss of hair, scabs, crusty skin.
Cocker Spaniels can develop allergies at any stage of their life. With a lifespan of about 15 years, this breed of canine may be allergic to:
- Mold spores
- Dust and house mites
- Tree pollens
- Grass pollens
- Weed pollens
- Cigarette smoke
- Food like beef, pork, chicken, wheat, soy
- Prescription medicines
- Flea and flea control products
- Cleaning products
- Rubber or plastic
Some food causes allergic reactions to your pet English cocker spaniel. Food allergies will cause itchy skin, breathing difficulties or gastro intestinal problems. As an owner, try to identify what causes this allergy and avoid those foods. Look out for these symptoms, if they persist then it is time to take see your veterinarian.